Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Tomorrow

“Don't stop thinking about tomorrow, don't stop, it’ll soon be here,” Don’t Stop, Fleetwood Mac

Holiday weekends are filled with good times and bad times. As great as it is to see so many people and catch up, it can get daunting. Dealing with people can get to you, boy can it get to you. Having a million things to do, trying to get it all in and not anger anyone is impossible. Running into people you haven’t seen in a while and trying to make conversation is tough. Hearing things about people you don’t care to talk about makes things worse. Sometimes weekends just get you down.
But as I look at my upcoming schedule for this week, I noticed that I have too many people asking something from me and I may not be able to get it all in. I may not be able to be there for everyone. So how do I decide who to be there for? How do I pick? What would Laura Bush do?

Of course I believe that if you make a commitment to someone or something, you must follow through. No matter how my schedule may change, I told people I would be there and I will be there. Emergency aside, I can’t disappoint them. But what about those plans that pop up last minute? How do you decide? Is it a first come first served thing or no? Well I do not know.  
But what I do know is I need to continue to try to put myself first. I struggling with this still, but I am trying. And if someone gets mad at me for not being at everything they ask me to be at, I need to just learn that it’s Ok. If they really care about me, they will understand.

So as I plan for this week ahead and people ask things of me, I am going to ask what Laura Bush would do. Would she sacrifice her own wellbeing to please others? Would she turn her world upside down to make others happy or make herself happy? I believe she would put herself first. She would of course be there for others when she can, but still think about herself. So going forward, I will continue to be what makes me me but also, still keep trying to put myself first. Wish me luck! What would Laura Bush do?

No comments:

Post a Comment