Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Survivor

“Upside, inside out she’s livin la vida loca,” Livin La Vida Loca, Ricky Martin

Today marks five years in remission for my best friend Dominique! Dom went from being a fighter to a survivor and this is awesome news. It is also great news for others out there fighting blood cancers, it is a sign that survivorship is possible. It is also a sign that no matter what life throws you, you can tackle it. Cancer sucks, but you don’t have to let it change you or the person you are. My best friend is proof of that. Don’t believe me, well then watch this.
I remember clearly where I was when I first got the news that she was diagnosed with Chronic Myleogenous Leukemia in 2005. I was sitting on the back steps at my parents’ house. The news was devastating. I was really numb for a while after it. But this wasn’t about me, it was about her. After the initial shock of it all, it was support time. I did what I could to help in her fight, but I couldn’t fight her cancer. That battle was all on her, and she prevailed.

Fast forward to five years ago when she called to tell me she was in remission. This was a completely different feeling. This was a celebration. This was proof of her strength. It was proof of what one person can do. Medications, doctors, appointments aside — this was her battle. She won. She may never be “cured” but she can be in remission and help others out there fighting. She is my forever inspiration.
So while my life may not be a shining example of anything special, I know I am surrounded by fighters. I am surrounded by good news. So when I start to get down on myself, I can remember all the celebrations I have been a part of. I may not have good news for myself, but it is Ok knowing I am someone who others want to celebrate their successes with. How great is that?

And I know for every person that wants Laura Bush as part of their good news, she is honored to be. She is class and grace. She knows the benefits of being there for someone, through good and bad. I will remind myself to continue to be that person there for others. So what if nothing goes in my favor. I have amazing people in my life restoring my belief that good does happen. It may not happen to me, but it does happen. What would Laura Bush do?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for fighting along with me, for always supporting me, and for being my hero! I think Laura Bush would agree.

    ReplyDelete