Wednesday, June 4, 2014

National Running Day

“But till then tramps like us, baby we were born to run,” Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen

I learned today that it is National Running Day. I am a runner and I didn’t know this but I am happy to learn something new today. So in honor of today I am going to write about my love of running. Laura Bush may not be a marathon runner, but her husband is so it still fits.
First, I will begin with a funny story. When I wrote my first blog post about the gym and the annoying guys on the treadmill next to me (read it here), I left out part of the conversation. I didn’t purposely omit it, but thankful I did so I can tell it now. As the dudes and I were running on the treadmills, one looked at me and said, “You don’t know how tough it is to train to run a 5k.” I just smiled and said, “You are right, I run marathons.” Of course he would have no idea I have run 7 full marathons in my life, but he didn’t need to assume that I wasn’t training for something. Don’t ever assume anything. Running a 5k or a marathon, I will always support fellow runners as long as they aren’t arrogant about it. Running is hard, no one needs the added negativity.

Now to why I run and take on the time consuming habit of training for races. The easy answer is because I love it. But the more honest answer is because it makes me happy and keeps me grounded. I know that no matter what I have going on in my life, I can run to escape it or just clear my head. It is the best therapy out there.
Ten years ago if you had told me I would be a marathon runner I would have laughed, and so would everyone that knows me. Running and exercising wasn’t my bag. I had too many bad habits and it didn’t interest me. It didn’t interest me until my best friend got sick. She was diagnosed with cancer and my whole world changed. I began running to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, and the rest is history.

So today in honor of National Running Day, get out there and run. I don’t care if it is one mile or 10, be active. Running changed my life and it can change yours. And who knows, while you are running you may just solve all your problems by asking, what would Laura Bush do?

No comments:

Post a Comment