Thursday, June 19, 2014

Being tested

“Every dog has its day, every day has its way of being forgotten,” What Would You Say, Dave Matthews Band

Well I had a test today and a perfect example of how to act like Laura Bush. I will admit I was not in the best mood this morning. Nothing serious, just an off day. Anyway, I was out running errands and stopped to run into a store. As I was walking in a somewhat angry person was hurriedly rushing out the store and of course, ran right into me. Her drink spilled all over me and things went flying.
The shocking thing was she next began to yell at me. How I should pay attention and blah, blah, blah. I will admit when something is my fault, I am quite clumsy, but this was not my fault as I was paying attention and she was rushing out not paying attention to where she was walking. Now being in a bad mood, I could have easily yelled back. I could have easily corrected her about how it wasn’t my fault and therefore I don’t care. But I didn’t.

I let her continue to yell while I picked up all her items that had spilled everywhere. I nodded as she went on. Then when she was finished, I simply said, “I hope I got everything you dropped, you have a nice day.” She looked at me and then accused me of being a smart ass. Now right here, I really wanted to blow up. I wanted to shout about how her and her attitude are one of the things wrong with people today. What would Laura Bush do?
It took every fiber of my being to not be a smart ass. I simply turned around and said, “No ma’am, I just want to make sure you got everything you dropped since groceries are expensive. Have a great day.” This dumbfounded look came across her face, but then it turned into a smile. She thanked me and walked away.

As annoyed as I was that she never actually apologized for spilling her drink on me (thankfully, I wasn’t wearing sneakers or this may have gone another way), I am happy that I was polite. I really don’t know how Laura Bush does it, but I am glad I was polite today. This woman may never remember this encounter, or tell it differently, but channeling Laura Bush really turned my mood around.

So when something like this happens to you, or you are blamed for something you didn’t do. Stop, breathe, and ask, what would Laura Bush do?

No comments:

Post a Comment