Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Tough Situation

“I’ve got fire for a heart. I’m not scared of the dark. You’ve never seen it look so easy,” Drag Me Down, One Direction

Last night I was hit smack in the face with a What Would Laura Bush Do situation. But can I pull it off?
So the events of the last few weeks have reached a new level of ridiculous in the form of bad mouthing. The problem? Not a single word of it is true. So what to do?

I learned of this information via a phone call from a friend. I was pretty speechless at first. Nothing you say ever stays silent, it always finds its way to the person in which you are speaking. Of course this didn’t take long seeing as it took three people to get to me. Whether this was the intention or not, I found out.
Now after I hung up the phone I was livid. No one wants to be talked about negatively, especially if untrue. As untrue as the things said were, the fact that this wasn’t the first time these things have been said was what really got me. Why have I ever been a topic of conversation?

I truly believe that speaking harshly about another person is a reflection of you and not the person. I was thankful I heard all this information from a friend and not someone that can’t wait to pass along the information, truth be damned. The people that love to bring others down and for whatever reason enjoy it.   
Now at first all I wanted to do was tell someone exactly where they could go. Set them straight, get my jabs in, and move on. But you know what? That feeling lasted a very short time. I stopped, calmed down, and asked, what would Laura Bush do?

What purpose would engaging it serve? People are going to always believe what they want to believe. I am not that person. I don’t believe in engaging. I believe in me. Whether it is trying to save face since I walked away; whether it is trying to continue to make me look like a fool; whether it is simply how they believe people can behave; it is not for me.
So I logged on to social media, hit the unfriend button on a few folks, looked at my best friend and said, “it’s done.”

The hurt feelings won’t go away as quickly as I walked away, but they will. I will come out unharmed since through it all I remained kind. I remained classy. I remained mature. I remained honest. I remained Laura Bush.
Author’s Note: Yep, I love One Direction.

1 comment:

  1. I think you did exactly what Laura Bush would do - take the high road and move on. You don't need negativity in your life.

    ReplyDelete