Thursday, August 14, 2014

Believing

“Well I got to keep it going keep it going full steam. Too sweet to be sour too nice to be mean,” Intergalactic, Beastie Boys

Last week I received a text from a friend that made me stop and think. Her text read, “I don’t know why I see the good in people, they mostly suck.” The text conversation continued, but I did have to wonder. Is it ever time to stop always seeing the good? Can you be hurt enough to just realize it is no longer feasible to continue believing in others?
I have always seen the good in people. As I have mentioned before, it is a fault of mine. But what would Laura Bush do when a friend starts to have doubts? She hasn’t had the best go of things, but until now she was always positive. She was a kind, genuine person. She was the kind of friend everyone should have. I have struggled as well seeing the good, even when there wasn’t any to see, but I still believe. I have been hurt, I have doubted, but for me I will continue believing in people. Is it selfish to try to push my beliefs on her when I can’t really promise people won’t disappoint her? What would Laura Bush do?

I think Laura Bush would listen. I will respond with positive thoughts, but I will understand where she is coming from. I will remind myself that I have also had my doubts, and what she needs is an ear to listen. She may doubt others, but I will show her that she won’t ever doubt me. I will continue to show her that there are good people out there. There are people who truly care about her, no matter what.
It may hurt me in the end, but I am going to continue seeing the good in people and in everything. I will show my friend the good. And I will show her what Laura Bush would do.

Author’s Note: I absolutely love the Beastie Boys. I love that their rhymes never had to be incredibly dirty or vulgar. They had a message and used words to get it out. They had fun songs, while also having thought provoking songs. I miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment