Thursday, July 17, 2014

Surprise

“I have climbed highest mountains, I have run through the fields,” I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For, U2

It is funny how some people can really surprise you. How just when you are about to write someone off they do or say something that shocks you. This happened to me last night. I ran into someone I hadn’t really seen in a while. It was just a random chance meeting in a store that started off a little awkward. After the customary chit chat I was certain that would be the end of the conversation.
The talk turned to me and my life, always a cautionary tale, and I filled them in on some things. Usually when I talk about my future plan, which only a few selective individuals have been privy to all the details, I either get a look of confusion or judgment. I am not saying this person is judgmental, but some people just don’t get it or understand. And that is why I am selective as to what details I share with what people.  

After I got done talking, they said “that is so awesome, I have always believed in you.” I was floored. I mean, who doesn’t want to hear that? They continued on about how it may at first be tough, but it was about time I did this and put myself first. We hugged, promised to lunch soon, and went on our way.
What does this have to do with Laura Bush you ask? Well, it is really quite simple. I didn’t write this person off, I was honest, and I didn’t quickly end the surprise encounter by rushing through the conversation. I doubt we actually will do lunch anytime soon, but I do know what they said to me was true. There was no ill will that we just grew apart, no ill will that I made numerous life changes this year, there was just support and friendship.

So next time you think about quickly ending a conversation with someone you have a chance meeting with, remember what would Laura Bush do? You may just be surprised.
Author’s Note: Does any song from U2 really need an explanation?

No comments:

Post a Comment