Wednesday, July 9, 2014

No good

“I hope you make a lot of nice friends out there, but just remember there’s a lot of bad and beware,” Wild World, Cat Stevens

The last few days I have had the distinct privilege of seeing both the best and the worst in people. This has brought me to an unfortunate conclusion — there is just no good in some people. It is sad, but it is true.
A downfall of mine (so I am told by numerous people) is that I always try to see the good in people. No matter the person, I can find the good. It may not be much, but it is there if you look hard enough. I am a firm believer in never letting anyone bring you low enough to hate, but sometimes even I question it. Not hating someone, but finally realizing there just isn’t any good in there to see.  

One of my brothers said something to me that has always stuck, “Kitt, sometimes your faith in people outweighs your common sense.” No, he wasn’t calling me dumb, I don’t think, but he was warning me, and reminding me, of some of the hurt in my past. I do have faith in people, but I do know when enough is enough. It just might take me a little longer to get there.  
When you realize that everything someone has ever said to you was a lie and what you wanted to hear in that moment, all manipulated to get what they want, you realize there is no good. No one deserves disrespect, even those that may fall for any lie or action. But what does it say about you when you think someone isn't a good person, but everyone around sings their praises? Who is right and who is wrong? Does it matter?

I understand that history dictates a lot of these feelings, but when that doesn’t really come in to play and you are just taking someone at face value, is it wrong to think poorly of someone? I try to let people make their own judgment of others, so the feelings I have about someone are mine. Of course if you hurt someone close to me, I will harbor ill will, but again that goes back to there being history.
So next time I am sitting there listening to people speak highly of someone when all I want to do is scream everything I know about this person, I must think what would Laura Bush do? She would stay quiet, while possibly biting her tongue to ensure she remains that way. What does it matter if my opinion differs? In the grand scheme of things, this really will have no prolong effect on any of our lives. This is why they make vanilla and chocolate, everyone can decide for themselves.

It is very tough to get me to badmouth anyone, again I believe in letting people draw their own conclusions on people. As tough as this is, and how tough it will be for me not to speak up, knowing I am acting in the manner Laura Bush would act will make it so much easier. When life hands you unkind people, simply ask — what would Laura Bush do?

No comments:

Post a Comment